It’s getting chilly here in New England. Bring on all the fat and carbs. These tiny potatoes are mighty in flavor and so easy to make!
Start with tiny potatoes. These were called “Patriot Potatoes” on the bag. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Parboil for about 20 minutes, dry well, then slightly smash with a potato smasher. You still want them to keep their shape.
Once smashed, smother with melted vegan butter.
Seriously, get the butter everywhere. Squirt some extra olive oil on the top if you want. Season with salt and pepper. Bake on the bottom rack of your oven at 500 for 10 minutes.
Top with garlic, vegan parm (vegan shreds or squeezy Daiya cheese would probably work too) and bake for 10 minutes more on the top rack of the oven. Dollop with vegan sour cream and warm in the oven for a minute or two. Remove from the oven and top with vegan bacon (other suggestions in the recipe below) and chives or scallions. Eat right off the baking sheet, so you can drag the potatoes through the mess. It’s fantastic.
Smashed + Loaded Tiny Baked Potatoes
Yield 2-4 servings
- 1.5 lbs of tiny whole potatoes
- a little olive oil, to grease the baking sheet
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- salt + pepper
- 1 TB grated garlic – more or less as desired (I used a microplane grater)
- a few TB vegan parm (I used Follow Your Heart brand, but Violife would probably also work)
- vegan sour cream
- one cup vegan bacon – crisped in pan and chopped (I used Sweet Earth brand, but smoky tempeh or shiitake/maitake bacon would work)
- a few TB chopped chives or scallions
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then parboil for about 20 minutes. You’ll want them to be slightly underdone.
- Preheat oven to 500.
- Drain the potatoes and dry very well.
- Place on a slightly greased baking sheet and gently smash with a potato smasher. You don’t want to completely flatten, just press down about halfway.
- Brush the tops of the potatoes with the melted vegan butter, adding a bit more if needed.
- Season the tops with salt and pepper.
- Place into the oven on the lower rack and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each potato with the garlic and vegan parm.
- Place back into the oven on the top rack, and bake for about 10 minutes more.
- Place a dollop of vegan sour cream and put back into the oven to slightly warm.
- Remove from the oven and top each potato with the chopped vegan bacon and chives.
- Serve immediately, with extra toppings on the side if desired.
These reheat well in an air fryer at 400, for about 5 minutes.
THIS WEEK’S DISCOVERIES, FAVORITE FINDS + GRATITUDE:
I’m currently reading First, We Make the Beast Beautiful, by Sarah Wilson (which was suggested to me). It’s about anxiety, which Sarah describes as a disconnection to “Something Else.” What is that? Connection, clarity, the feeling that we “haven’t landed” and behaviors that compensate for that void or leave us grasping for this thing. But it’s also about so, so, so much more. I am loving reading about Sarah’s perspective, and feeling a deep connection to her emotions and experiences.
A little gratitude for my plants. Every month I can keep all of my plants alive, I reward myself with a new one. Over the past few months, I brought home a big and small ficus, and a new peace lily. They are all so happy! I read somewhere that plants like to have “plant friends” to thrive. Is this true? I don’t know, but I love having them in each room, and adding more.