Last weekend Eric and I were at a cafe that served crepes and we just had time for lattes even though he really wanted some crepes. So, I decided that later that week I would make some crepes. Classic vanilla crepes are so good with just cinnamon and sugar but I figured I would be a bit more fancy and make some chocolate crepes! Since I had never made them before. I am all for trying new things when it comes to recipes and why not make them chocolate?!
Crepes are really simple to make, which makes me love them even more. When I was in high school, one of the most exciting days in our French class was when the teacher brought crepe batter, and let us make our own crepes. That is how simple they are to make if we could make them with no experience. Your first one might turn out a little weird (like pancakes sometimes do if you are heating the pan) but it’s an easy process.
For these ones I made my classic crepe batter and flavored it with cacao powder to make them nice and chocolaty. I actually made them gluten free, but if you want to make them not gluten free, you can sub organic whole wheat pastry flour for the gluten free flour and they will turn out the same. They came out lovely, and they would have been good with just cinnamon and sugar (since chocolate goes well with it too), but I decided to add some other toppings and make them pretty.
Just a bit of melted dark chocolate, some fresh strawberries and pistachios, and they were perfect! If you are a fan of crepes, make some at home! Of course you can add your own toppings if you want and even make them more dessert like with some ice cream or coconut whipped cream. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Vegan Chocolate Crepes
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp maple sugar or coconut sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- melted vegan dark chocolate
- sliced organic strawberries
- To make the crepes, mix together the flax seed and water in a bowl, and set aside in the refrigerator for 15 minutes until it is the consistency of egg whites.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the coconut sugar, flour, cacao powder, and sea salt in a bowl, then whisk in the coconut oil. Slowly whisk in the milk little by little to make sure the mixture stays free of lumps. Next, whisk in the vanilla, followed by the flax mixture you had set aside.
- Heat a non-stick ceramic 6 inch pan over medium heat, then pour in 1/3 cup batter, and swirl the pan so that it spreads out to the edges. Cook for about 3 minutes on the first side, then flip over and cook the second side. Once the crepe is done, set aside on a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, separating the crepes with parchment paper on the plate so that they don’t stick together.
- To serve the crepes, drizzle with the vegan dark chocolate, and sprinkle with strawberries and pistachios (or feel free to be creative with toppings).